original building was constructed in 1881, and was home to the first Methodist religious
services in Elmvale. It did not become a funeral home until Abraham C. Bishop bought the
building in 1919 for $350.00. Although Mr. Bishop's primary occupation was as an
undertaker, he also ran a hardware business out the the building. Abraham also was a
carriage builder and built carriages and buggies to sell. The custom at this time was to
have the funeral at the home of the deceased.
Mr. William P Hutchinson purchased the business on November
18, 1952. He made an "astonishing" change at the time by starting to have the
funerals in the funeral home.
Mr. Henry James Lynn took over the funeral home on
September 27, 1956. Mr. Lynn increased the size of the building by building an addition
which became the visitation room. Mike Stone started working for Mr. Lynn as a licensed
mortician in December 1971. Mr. Stone became a full partner in 1987.
1990, Mike Stone purchased the land just across the street from their
original location and built a new, state of the art funeral
The new funeral home can facilitate up to four separate
visitations at one time and is able to seat 200 people for a service in the chapel. The
new facility has a spacious lounge and reception area.